The latest most exiting trend of taking a vacation in India is to cruise along the backwater of Kerala in a luxury houseboat. This is a very unique experience in itself. The trip in a luxury houseboat promises to be magical as it takes you through the majestic corners of remote Kerala. This part of Kerala cannot be accessed otherwise. The virgin nature, the flowing water, green paddy fields, distant villages, churches and coconut groves make the trip truly out of the ordinary. The network of lakes, canals, estuaries and rivers add up to approx 900 km of backwater ways.
The house boats are called Kettuvallams in local expression. It means ‘boat with knot’, as the boat was built without the help of any nails but only coir knots. The construction process of the houseboats is very interesting as only natural products like bamboo mats, sticks, woods, coir mats and wooden planks are being used. The houseboats vary according to their shapes and sizes. There are many options to choose from. It is seen that the boat with accommodation of a suite, attached bathrooms, kitchen, open lounge and crew including oarsmen, a cook and guide are more popular. Meals are provided on board and special arrangements can be made for fresh fish from backwaters. Solar panels are utilized for lighting and a small engine is used for powering the boats. The whizzing sound of water floating below, the winds talking soothing words to your ears, the moonlight reflecting in the backwaters can really make this experience a winner of admiration and uniqueness. Take a break and go take a houseboat ride and rejuvenate your body, mind and soul.
All houseboats are promised to be in well maintained condition. The authority takes care of furnishing the houseboats to little requirements. You can also arrange for chatting up with the local people and discover many facets about Kerala. Safety is also worry here as every boat come with first aids, life jackets, fire extinguisher and telephonic connectivity. The captain of he boat is supposed guide you on the local scenic beauty, culture and people. He is also responsible about you getting hygienic food and service.
- Check in at 12.30 p.m.
- A brief introduction is provided before the trip.
- Lay back and bask in the beauty of the rivers and backwaters
- 1.30 p.m. break for lunch (optional Kerala fish items)
- 2.30 p.m. resume the trip across breathtaking views of palm trees, paddy fields and villages
- Quench your thirst by dinking famous Kerala liquor ‘Toddy’, made from coconut
- Drop down and shop for fresh water prawns or crabs from vendors, and chef will happily prepare for your dinner
- 6.00 p.m. the boat halts for the rest of the night until next morning, utilize this time to explore the horizon on foot
- After having sumptuous dinner fall into deep slumber with mild floating feeling
- 6.30 a.m. sip your coffee and enjoy he sunrise
- 8.00 a.m. breakfast time
- 9.00 checkouts with a happy and satisfied mood, after enjoying the memory of a lifetime